Thursday 28 August 2008

Why sin is like a big mac...

It looks so appealing. So tender… so juicey… so satisfying…. In the advert it looks like everything a hamburger should be. Succulent. Flavoursome. Filling. 

The advert whispers all kinds of promises. They sound so reasonable. So enticing. The picture is convincing. My mouth begins to water.

And yet - if I think back - I know the truth. I know how the story ends: 
The burger is never as big, nor as juicey, nor as satisfying as it promises. It always seems small after the money is handed over. And it never fills me up for long. Last time, I felt hungry again only an hour afterwards. What’s more, I felt slightly queasy,… slightly “greasy” after I’d eaten it – the fat in the air seemed to stick to me. I wasn’t satisfied, I was merely distracted from my genuine hunger. I still needed a proper meal.

So why am I tempted to go inside?... Why do I entertain the empty promises of the advert?
Because time has passed, and eventually I forget the truth.  I forget that the all too plausible promises are empty. I forget what happened last time.  And what's more, I forget to speak truth to myself - to remind myself of the satisfying meal that awaits me at home at no cost. 

How sad - how foolish - that often my relationship with sin and temptation is like my experience with Big Macs.  Time passes, and I fail to see them for what they are.  Too often I listen to the lies. 

No comments: