Friday 9 May 2008

Pursuing wisdom to 'live well' in the world (Proverbs)

I want to 'live well' in the world.  I want to understand how the world works... To have incite into the workings of the stock market... To understand the ways and motivations of men's hearts... and many more things besides.  Knowledge like that would help me to prosper, and protect myself.  It might (in my better moments) help me love other people well.

I want that kind of wisdom, and I want it quickly... easily.  Osmosis through my pillow would be fine.  Hypnosis or a brain download would be OK.  A drip feed even.  Failing that listening to a few podcasts on the tube would be bearable. I want wisdom to come to me the way information and entertainment do. Freely, easily, and with no effort. 

Well it turns out wisdom like that is available.  Wisdom to 'live well' in the world...  to prosper, to protect and to love.  
 
But wisdom - according to Proverbs chapter 2 - doesn’t come quickly or without effort. Wisdom requires application and to be pursued with commitment. We need to “accept” truthful words, “store up” right commands, actively “turn our ears” to widsom, “[apply] our hearts”, “call out” for insight, “cry aloud" for understanding, “look for” and “pursue“ understanding as we would the costliest treasure. None of that sounds like a quick and easy exercise. It sounds like something that is pursued with heart and mind, persistently... even avidly.  (I've recently seen National Treasure the film.  Nicolas Cage's character knew what it was to look for and pursue something as a treasure - I hardly pursue wisdom the same way...). 

But there's more to it than our part. For one thing, where would we look for these "truthful words"?  To whom could we "cry aloud for understanding"

Proverbs makes clear, wisdom originates with God and is His to give. Which kind of makes sense! If we connect 'living well in the world' with the purpose of both 'living'  and 'the world' (see “I have a hammer…”), we might expect the creator to have something to say on both.  In fact, it would be rather odd if the God who gives life and who made the world didn't come into the picture when it came to living life in His world.   If he had spoken about it, it would be worth listening to.  Worth treasuring even...

Proverbs 2v1-12
[Our bit… (v1-5)]
My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.
[God’s bit… (v6-12)]
For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones. Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you. Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse,…

No comments: